Thursday, April 3, 2008

Excuses

I've been so bad at this whole blogging thing. Then I feel like all I have to write about are excuses for not writing. Absurd and boring.

Instead of lamenting the fact that I haven't gotten it together to make this what I want, I'm going to write about random crap and let it morph as it goes. At least I'll be writing.

I went for a walk with the boyfriend to Prospect Park yesterday evening. When we got there he ran and I used his camera to take photos until he was done. It is still rather nippy, but buds were out on the trees and bushes and it made me happy. The camera time really got me thinking about how much more creative I could be if I just incorporated that into my life - looking at everything looking for a composition helps you to see interesting scale, perspective, color contrasts and light play. It also made me realize that I wish I was inheriting an SLR instead of a point and shoot, whenever that happens. When there wasn't enough light, as the sun was setting, the camera was wonky and slowed the shutter speed down to take it all in, and when I used the flash to help that it looked horendous most of the time. Sometimes it helped but it often made my compositions lose everything I was shooting them for. Beggars can't be choosers of course so I'll take what I can get. Again, whenever that happens. The operative words.

Also, I watched the end of The Departed. I never saw the beginning but R tells me it is better. The only things I could pay attention to were
- The constant use of cell phones. My goodness. For real. They were going off all the time. I couldn't help but think to the future when we all have chips in our arms to communicate instead of cell phones, and how that feature is really going to date the movie. Not that it's a bad thing, but it could seriously look retro even though it's clearly trying too hard now to seem relevant and with the times.
- Leonardo had a terrible Boston accent.

And: I just discovered my new favorite blog. I will have to write about it. My blog reading has been inspiring and I've been obsessive about it, but I think this might be the one that is actually going to make me change my life, find my calling, all that good stuff. But right now I have to force myself to go the gym for the first time in, um, 4 months? I'll be very honest and say that yes, I've been throwing my money away.

No comments: